"Being a family means you are part of something wonderful. It means you will love and be loved for the rest of your life. No matter what." ~Author Unknown

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Day 2

This morning started very early with our medical.  You have to have a complete medical done here that takes about 3 hours and consists of 8 different doctors.  It's an experience to say the least, but then again so is birthing a child.  No need to expand on that anymore...
The traffic is horrific here.  It's takes about an hour to get to the orphanage(it's 5 miles away).  I was seriously thinking it would be easier to walk today!  St. Pete is very busy right now because everyone is doing their holiday shopping.  With traffic, the medical was 5 hour round trip journey.  It was lunch and nap time for S by then so we had to wait to see her.  We ventured out and had some yummy ham and cheese on a "pancake" for lunch and did a tiny bit of shopping.  I'm having a hard time buying souveniers because everything is so American!  There are all the same things here as at home!  


It was nice to do a little exploring though.  We have been busy every minute!  Finally it was time to go the orphanage.  We were so excited!  We got more time today, a little bit over an hour.  When they brought her in she was apprehensive again.  I went to her, talked to her, kissed her, and picked her up.  She was fine as long as she was on my hip or lap!  If Mark got close or if I put her down she started to cry.  As much as I love that I know it's just because I look like a safer option than Mark!  I really wanted to see her get down and play tonight.  So, Mark stayed away for a little while and I got her interested in crayons and paper.  She's definitly Mark's kid, the OCD came out!  She kept taking the crayons and lining them up.  If you move them she puts them right back!  Maybe she can teach Adrienne a thing or two:)  After awhile Mark started to inch closer and she would give him a crayon and he would give it back.  We played this for a long time and then I put the crayons on the chair next to me and had her stand between my legs.  She was good with this so Mark inched back little by little so she would have to walk toward him to play the crayon game!  She totally got into it and started going to him and giving him the crayon, and then she would run back to me for some lovin' and reassurance!  So cute.  We did this for quite awhile and finally got some pictures of her smiling.  She talked so much tonight!  Sounded like baby babble to us, but Anya said she thought she was trying to say a sentence, and she could hear some dominant sounds.  I was just happy she was so vocal!  We got giggles and then big belly laughs from her.  If you want a happy ending log out now...then they came to get her:(  She looked unsure, like she was thinking, "Hey, I'm having fun here. I'm not ready to go!".  We of course were not ready to have it end either.  We said good bye and then she was gone.  It's such a weird feeling.  One minute you're completely engrossed in her world, and the next you're standing in an empty room.  We both teared up walking out.  I can't imagine how we will say good bye tomorrow.  For now I don't want to think about it, I'm just happy to have at least one more visit before it's over.  We were really hoping for 2 visits tomorrow, but they were not sure tonight if that would happen.  We will go to bed hoping for that. 


  1. There is a fantastic little market by the Church of Our Savior on Spilled Blood that sells very Russian souvenirs and they are very well priced!! It is outside though so bundle up!!!

  2. They also will bargin with you. DO NOT pay full price for anything at that market! Also, Svetlana will take you to a real nice souvenir store that they will give you an exta percentage off also because they know her.