"Being a family means you are part of something wonderful. It means you will love and be loved for the rest of your life. No matter what." ~Author Unknown



Thursday, August 25, 2016

Honey, We’re Home!

We’re so happy to have our new cottage in Traverse City.  We love it there!  The best part?  It’s not even ours.  Like the mortgage payments don’t even have our name on them anywhere!!  Isn’t that just the best?  I’m pretty sure Mike and Alison LOVE it too.

We talked early on in the summer about getting back there with Em and Steve and the girls.  We scoured our calendars to find a weekend that worked with everybody, and planned it!  Well maybe not everybody…when Alison texted me to wish me a happy birthday, I said “Can’t wait to see you on the 12th”!  To which she replied, “You’re coming the 12th”?  Yes Alison we are.  And I’m bringing my Verismo like always so I don’t have to drink that shit instant coffee you try to serve me.  I feel like this corner of the counter must be sad when we leave.

IMG_7882

Turns out both her and Mike had to work that Saturday, and there was a big possibility of rain.  I was really on the fence as to whether I wanted to pack everything up and go all that way to be stuck inside trying to entertain my children.  We decided to go for it, and I’m so glad we did! 

We arrived Friday night, got pizza for kids and settled them in. 

IMG_7883

The kids were so happy to see Luna!  Last time we were there she had been missing for 3 weeks.  Luna is the first thing they look for when they get there!

IMG_7887    We hung out for awhile and then hit the town just us grown ups!

IMG_7890

  The next morning Mike and Alison were off to work, and we were indeed faced with a rainy day.  What to do with these children…hmmmm.  I suggested drinking coffee, blogging, and reading, but oddly they weren't on board with that.  I generally enjoy my kids.  I like doing things with them and for them.  Except on a rainy weekend morning.  Can’t we all just play grown up and enjoy quiet nothingness?  Apparently no, no we can’t.

Steve found a Butterfly House and Bug Zoo, so we decided to check that out.  First up though…lunch!

IMG_7894IMG_7895

The butterfly house was honestly so cool.  The staff was amazing and did everything possible to help you have a good experience. 

IMG_7896IMG_7903

This thing is some variety of moth.  It was huge, takes over a year to hatch out of it’s cocoon, and then only lives 6 days.  How cool that we were able to see it!

IMG_7904

There was one variety of butterfly that landed intermittently on people.  Mark, myself, and Kaitlyn were all lucky choices!

 IMG_5522

IMG_7916IMG_7919

Natalie desperately wanted one to land on her!  She sat so still for so long!  Many came close, but didn’t land. 

IMG_7923IMG_7924IMG_7927

Finally one of the workers came over with a new butterfly they wanted to set free.  She tried to set it on Nat’s arm, but flew right over to Kaitlyn!  She didn’t care though, she was happy to be that close!

IMG_7934IMG_7936

She must be the butterfly whisperer!

IMG_7907

The bug zoo was creepy cool too!  I just don’t need to even know these kind of insects actually exist in the world.

IMG_7908IMG_7909IMG_7911IMG_7913

Nothing says vacation like ice cream in the afternoon, and nothing says Traverse like Moomers!  They had a chocolate sorbet that was dairy free for Sof.  It was so good 3 of us ordered it!   

IMG_7945

By the afternoon the rain had stopped.  It wasn’t great out, but it was dry enough for us to do some hunting for Petoskey stones!  This is kind of an obsession for me.  I feel a little like Rainman.  Got to find Petoskey stones, always find Petoskey stones in Traverse, got to find them.

IMG_5588IMG_5594IMG_5601IMG_5602IMG_5608We found a few, but the water was pretty rough.  It was difficult, but we were satisfied!

By the time we did all that the kids were happy and content.  We scrapped our original plan of taking the kids and going out to dinner, and replaced it for another grown up night.  Didn’t have to think twice about that one!

IMG_5627 

We kept sending Alison pictures telling her to hurry!  She was at a company picnic 3 hours away and had been outside at the waterpark all day.  We didn’t care though, we just wanted to even out the boy/girl ratio!  I don’t like to admit it for fear she’ll get a big head or something, but she was worth the wait!

IMG_7979

Of course the next day was beautiful.  We made the decision to get in some boat time before hitting the road.  Again, so glad we did! 

IMG_5662IMG_5665

Remember that pier I wouldn’t jump off on the 4th of July?  Well the water was about 15 degrees warmer, so you’ll have to take my word for it that that is me and Em jumping!

IMG_5671IMG_5680IMG_5685IMG_5696

It ended up being the perfect day!  We were so glad we stayed!

IMG_8015

We were so busy all weekend we couldn’t keep up with our Instagram posts!  So when both Em and I blew up Instagram at the same time, we got this text.

IMG_79672

Hee Hee.

No comments:

Post a Comment