"Being a family means you are part of something wonderful. It means you will love and be loved for the rest of your life. No matter what." ~Author Unknown



Sunday, January 30, 2011

Another Cottage Weekend

 We were able to get to the cottage again this weekend.  Brian and Steph and kids, Steph's sister and my sister and families were there also.  The kids had a great time playing outside.  When I say kids I mean 11 kids.  We're always way out numbered when we're there!  The crazy thing is if you fast forward six months there will be 3 more!  My sister and Steph's sister are both pregnant and of course we'll have S!  After playing outside they did the typical...big girls gave the little girls make-overs, they made up a dance, they gave everyone a show, and the boys watched TV and rolled their eyes:)  Actually, the boys got up and did the wave for us to get a little taste of the spotlight!  After that all the girls went in the bedroom and watched home videos of previous cottage weekends.  Nothing like making memories and watching them!   
Wendy(Steph's sister), Me, Steph, Emily

On Sunday morning my sister and I went over to my Grandma's house for a visit.  She lives just about 10 minutes away from our cottage.  She is 87, and sharp as a tack, but her body is ailing.  We want her to be safe, so recently the decision was made to move her into an assisted living facility.  Of course that is a very difficult thing for her as she loves her house and her things.  She spent the morning showing Emily and I all of her little "nifties".  Each one has a story and a memory connected to it.  A few things Emily and I really love, because they are also our memories.  When we showed an interest in something you could see the relief in her.  She was just so happy to think that her stuff could stay in the family and be treasured by someone else.  Now don't get me wrong, there's a lot of junk!  But sometimes things are not just about their monetary value.  Have you ever fell in love with something because of it's story?  I've never had any interest in nesting dolls, but wouldn't you know they're my new favorite thing!  I love the idea of 30 years from now MY grandchild spying an odd piece, that doesn't quite fit in my house, and them asking "Why do you have THIS?".  And I will say, "Let me tell you about my Grandma Jackie..."      

No comments:

Post a Comment