"Being a family means you are part of something wonderful. It means you will love and be loved for the rest of your life. No matter what." ~Author Unknown



Sunday, May 18, 2014

The Wedding

Last weekend I had the privilege of being a bridesmaid in Joni and Dave’s wedding.  Joni is Anne and Rick’s daughter.  It’s always been a bit awkward to answer the proverbial “So, how do you know each other?” question.  Anne and I can get away with just saying we work together, and that puts it to rest.  Joni used to refer to me as “my mom’s 30 year old BFF”.  That worked, but now I’m 40.  The truth is, I worked next door to Anne, and she had my oldest daughter in her Kindergarten class at the time.  One day, not too long into knowing each other as colleagues, she told me her mother and sister had both passed not so many years ago from breast cancer.  She cried readily, and I was intrigued by the interesting mix of strength and rawness in this woman.  A short time later I made a Scholastic book order for Adrienne, and I ordered a small board book called “Blessings”.  Anne politely asked me, “I noticed your book order, and not to be too personal, but are you religious?”.  From that question grew a friendship that included many bible study groups, hours spent talking about life together, and eventually a melting into one another’s families.  I learned about Joni through Anne long before I ever met her.  Once we did meet though, it felt just as natural as Anne and I.  Through the years I’ve learned a great many things from Anne, many of them on the subject of marriage.  I’ve asked her many times, “How do you not ever get mad at Rick???”!!!  Her response is always, “I choose to be happy not right”.  Noble words to live by, but since I am always right, I haven’t figured out how to fully apply those to my life:)  So back to last weekend…Joni married Dave.  It was unbelievably beautiful.  She was beautiful, the weather was beautiful, and the people were beautiful.  Joni is just 3 years younger than me, so unlike my 21 year old bride self, there was real history and maturity in the guests and attendees.  I loved every minute of it. It was SO much fun!

IMG_9081Rehearsal was Friday.  We checked into the hotel that afternoon, and it felt like a mini vacation!

IMG_9094          I wish I had better pictures, but being in the wedding stifles picture taking opportunities!

IMG_9095

Rehearsal was followed by an awesome “Taste of Detroit” themed dinner.  There were words shared from Dave’s mom and dad, and gifts exchanged.

IMG_9089

Dave is a natural at commanding the room. He had everyone laughing!

IMG_9090

Dave’s mom put together a slideshow of pictures.  Mark and I had a good laugh over this.  When we got married in 1995, we were lucky to have our friends Brian and Steph put together a similar video for us.  The difference was they had to carry a TV and VCR into the restaurant for us to watch it!

IMG_9086 The next morning started bright and early with hair and make-up.  I was happy to have mine done first so I could watch everyone else!

IMG_9122

IMG_9127

IMG_9135

IMG_9136

I have no pictures of the actual wedding, but rest assured it was beautiful.  Then, the real fun started!

IMG_9147

IMG_9148

IMG_9162

IMG_9183

IMG_9258

IMG_9210

IMG_9259

IMG_9194

IMG_9261

IMG_9212

We didn’t want the day to end, we were having so much fun!  We continued it on in the hotel lobby for awhile, but eventually we had to call it a day.

IMG_9204  I looked around many times that day and thought, none of this would have happened without a simple question asked and answered between two unlikely colleagues.  Joni and Dave…congrats on your marriage.  I’m so blessed to have you in my life.  My people are so lucky to have your people.  XOXO   

No comments:

Post a Comment