"Being a family means you are part of something wonderful. It means you will love and be loved for the rest of your life. No matter what." ~Author Unknown



Monday, December 10, 2012

Gingerbread Party 2012

This weekend was full on gingerbread.  We’ve been decorating gingerbread houses since Adrienne was a baby.  Over the years we’ve had cousins, friends, and parties of sorts.  Last year we totally stepped it up, and it rocked.  This year, we changed it up, and it rocked. 

Emily and I have been talking and buying gingerbread stuff for weeks.  We get a basic layout in our heads and then we make it happen.  Each girl gets to invite a few friends(we had 11 total girlies), except Sofie and Natty who count as each other’s friends, and Adrienne who crossed over the adult helper line this year. 

The prep for the party is just as fun as the party itself.  We enlist the help of our friends with bribes of pizza and beverages, and we banish men and kids to basement as we ready prizes, bake, and put houses together. 

Before everyone got there, girlfriend was getting restless.  I invited her to help with the first cooking project, tiny gingerbread cakes.  She got out her stool and dug in like a big girl.

PC086746      I really love seeing her do bigger girl things.  I love including my kids in everyday domestic tasks, and she’s finally getting mature enough to handle it.

PC086749

Finally the gang showed up and it was time to get to work. First up was getting prizes ready for the scavenger hunt.  There was assembling, sorting, and organizing to do!

 PC086752 PC086758

While that was going on in the dining room, we had a whole ‘nother crew in the kitchen attempting making the big gingerbread guy.  Like last year, it required 2 tries:)

PC086762

The good news is that Alison is a whiz at making “pops” out of anything that crumbles up.  Seriously, she can use anything!  She immediately started crumbling, mixing, and dipping.

PC086764

That’s her in the back, in the red.  Ooooh, what’s Mark doing you ask?  Well, that’s a jigsaw in the kitchen and he’s cutting gingerbread house cookie pieces.  We don’t mess around here. 

PC086768

Let me tell you that was genius.  Those houses were perfectly cut!  I may leave the jigsaw as a kitchen appliance.  It might be handy for vegetables or cheese.

PC086769

Em started putting the houses together, but your hand gets tired doing that frosting so she handed it over to Joni.  I was integral as an assistant holding her straw.  Luckily the use of heavy machinery was over by then.

PC086771

Historically Anne does not have a good record of putting houses together.  Just think blow driers, canned goods, and leaning towers.  Everyone deserves a second third fourth fifth chance though, so we gave her the benefit of the doubt.

PC086770

Yep, not a lick of improvement.  If you put her on Survivor and there was a gingerbread challenge she’d be voted off.

PC086773

By the time I went to bed the house was starting to look like a Gingerbread party was going to happen the next day(actually it was the next day ‘cause I like me some late night hours when I’m doing projects:). 

PC096775

The next morning it seemed like I had a lot of time to get ready.  After church I had to run into Michaels for some last minute things, then I was feeling so chill I told Mark to head up to Ulta ‘cause I needed shampoo.  Seemed important at the time.  Why do I tell you all this?  So you can appreciate the fact that I was working my a** off about an hour before the party!  By the time Anne and Joni arrived I was sweating, but ready.

PC096779 

 PC096780  PC096782

PC096789

With just a few minutes to spare and I looked around and surveyed the fruit of my labor.  Then I realized Sof was still naked with un-brushed hair in her bed napping.  I bolted up the stairs and woke her.  It wasn’t hard, she’s been talking about this party for a month.  She came down and looked for her spot at the table.  Then she wanted to know if she could eat the candy.  Girlfriend has a serious sweet tooth.  Like mama like baby:)

PC096784   PC096785

PC096787

Finally Emily showed up with 6 of the girls, Lexi’s friends were all there, and it was time to get the party started!

PC096801

PC096790

We had the kids decorate bags first.  This would be where they would store all of their prizes!

PC096792

PC096794  PC096796

PC096795

    PC096799  PC096798

PC096797

PC096802

Once the bags were decorated, the groups took turns going downstairs to complete a scavenger hunt. 

PC096806

“Under the stairs you’ll find a door.  Open it up and look on the floor.”

PC096809

PC096827

“Run, run all the way to the fridge.  Open it up just a smidge. 

Your prize is sneaky, he might jump out.  You’ll have to grab him fast no doubt!”

PC096824

“While hanging in the bathroom with friends, take a peek in some drawers, where you go next depends…”

PC096825

“Now to the playroom to finish the hunt.  This one is tricky I have to be blunt!  Don’t just grab the first prize you see, if it doesn’t have your name put it back where it be.  Keep looking and looking till you find the one right for you, better get going there still lots to do!”

PC096831 

Once everyone’s prize bags were full, it was back upstairs for the main event.  Finally, decorating gingerbread houses! 

 PC096811  PC096812

PC096818

Natty Bug finally got dropped off by daddy.  She sat in her toddler chair at the table with the big girls.  She figured out what to do pretty quick!

PC096816

“What candy?  What are you talking about?  I didn’t see any candy.”

PC096834  PC096835

The amount of sugar we let these children eat was almost child abuse.  For the record, no one puked(that I’m aware of).

PC096840  PC096847

We’re not totally irresponsible.  We played musical chairs to burn a few calories.

PC096859

Adrienne was in charge of music.

PC096853

PC096854

My mini me…taking pictures!

PC096860

Audrey, Savana, Lexi, and Mila

PC096862

Taylor, Livy, and Sophia

PC096864

Claire, Madelyn, and Kaitlyn

So what does it look like when this is all done?

PC096845

Long after this mess is cleaned up, little girls will have sweet memories of their day of fun.  It has become one of my favorite events of the year.  There’s nothing I love more than little girls and sugar.  Just ask my dentist.

IMG_0631

No comments:

Post a Comment